Re: [egit-dev] projectimport page

Matthias Sohn <matthias.sohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> *Please note:* it's considered good practice to sign-off your changes by
> adding a Signed-off-by: footer with
> your email address in the commit message of any change you were involved in
> developing (see e.g.
> http://kerneltrap.org/taxonomy/term/245).
>
> Maybe we should add a note about that to our contribution guidelines.

Not "maybe".  If we are going to require it (or even just strongly
encourage it) it has to be in the guidelines.

I'm OK with or without the SOB line.  We've talked about it but
never settled this for either EGit or JGit.  Foundation rules tend
to use other systems to verify the user really means to contribute
this (complete agreement online, or via snail mail).

I just happen to be in the habit of signing anything I do in open
source projects, so my little fingers hit -s all of the time when
making commits.  But I can retrain myself to skip this step if
EGit/JGit would prefer to not have it.

IMHO, whether or not we require the SOB line should just be a group
decision of the current committers.  Eclipse IP team doesn't need it;
they get their requirements met through Gerrit or Bugzilla's account
registration process.  So SOB lines are just noise to them.

--
Shawn.

Back to the top