Re: [egit-dev] jgit and eclipse meta-data.

On Jan 10, 2010, at 01:54, Matthias Sohn wrote:

2010/1/10 Chris Aniszczyk <zx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Since I use PDE day in and day out, I volunteer to maintain the
MANIFEST.MF's for JGit. I assume Shawn won't mind maintaining the POMs
as he does now.

and checkin .project and .classpath files ?

Yes, I think that would be necessary in any case.

The only (potential) problem I forsee is that although the .project nature for M2Eclipse and PDE aren't likely to cause problems, the classpath containers (for the M2E and PDE container) might. Perhaps we could get away with this by allowing M2Eclipse to overwrite the Eclipse .classpath locally using a mvn eclipse for those that need it, and check in something that works out of the box with PDE. No doubt Chris will generate a .project/.classpath that will work and we can then test against an existing M2E instance.

The other observation is that JGit has some dependencies (Args4J I believe) which will need to be bundled up as OSGi JARs and made available (ultimately, via Orbit I assume). However, we'll need an easy way of making sure those are in the Eclipse target platform so that (for PDE's case, at least) we have some resolvable references. Does it make sense to make a mini update site of the required JGit dependencies that people can add to their workspace if they just want to check out the JGit source?

Does anyone object to this? We could revisit the topic in the future
but I want to make sure we get a 0.6.0 out soon before EclipseCon
kicks around.

This is fine for me and yes we should get out a version soon.

Agreed, the biggest concern I have is the impact to actually getting something for EclipseCon and further on the Helios build.

Alex

Back to the top