Re: [egit-dev] http server for tests?

On 2009-12-04, at 4:19 PM, Chris Aniszczyk wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 1:41 PM, Shawn O. Pearce <spearce@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> For the smart HTTP series I need to put together some protocol tests.
>>
>> Is it insane to require Jetty in our test suite?  Do other projects
>> use a smaller container?  I'm inclined to just link to Jetty since
>> its an Eclipse project and its only our unit test suite.
>
> You aren't insane to require Jetty but may not need to.
>
> The p2 team has written a lightweight http test utilities based off of
> some of the stuff in http commons.
>
> http://henrik-eclipse.blogspot.com/2009/05/test-data-molester-comes-to-town.html

Why would you write another HTTP server?

Seriously adding handlers in Jetty to deal with various transport scenarios is easy. But now you want to test proxies, SSL, DAV, authentication, multi-threading and now combine those scenarios and you're just getting into a world of hurt. Been there and done that and it's not fun. We tried exactly for Maven what you guys tried with P2 and it was a waste of time. Jetty is perfect for this stuff. It's 600k, but I really don't think it's a big deal. If you want to make sure it's actually a correctly behaving HTTP server, then use a real one. There aren't many people in the world who know more then Greg and Jan when it comes to HTTP. I would take advantage of that.