Re: [egit-dev] NLS and JGit

Gunnar Wagenknecht <gunnar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Shawn O. Pearce schrieb:
> > Since .pgm is designed for stand-alone command line client usage
> > only, it might be reasonable there to link against the EPL NLS if
> > that code is very small and easily embedded.  That would help us
> > translate the command line interface, but that doesn't help the
> > AWT dialog box code implement translations.
>
> This is off-topic but what if there is no display available on the
> command line? Shouldn't the command line read from System.in?

I think we crash.

Robin tried to post a patch to use Java 6's Console class to read the
user's password (since it is a password and shouldn't be displayed)
but we didn't like the way he had to use reflection to make it work
and we didn't want to upgrade to Java 6 just to get that one feature.

So, right now, .pgm on a headless system is quite useless if you
need an SSH passphrase or password to connect to a remote system.

Yes, its a problem.

This sort of code needs to be broken apart into different modules so
we can have a chunk of classes that is built with Java 6 and is only
loaded on Java 6 and which offers password on the command line, while
still allowing the core of JGit to be built with Java 5 in mind.

--
Shawn.

Back to the top