Re: [egit-dev] Migration to Eclipse.org and refactoring

On 25 Sep 2009, at 16:38, "Shawn O. Pearce" <spearce@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Yea, sounds good.  I hope to be able to spend time on this stuff
above over the next 3 or 4 days here, so it might not be a long
wait before this is all sorted out.

Great.

Secondly, once that's done, are we looking to get EGit on board the 3.6
milestone wagon? I'm sure that would help visibility of the project.

We could try, but its September and the 3.6 release train needs to
be in reasonable shape by early January doesn't it?  We have quite
a few issues we should address before trying to tie ourselves to
a release train.

There are certainly things missing, but we should aim to start the ball rolling getting on sooner rather than later. After all, it's possible that we drop off the train towards the end if we decide it's not ready enough. That's probably easier than attempting to jump on a moving train towards the end if it is.

Note that the train requirements (automated build, testing etc) are probably good outcomes regardless of whether we are on the train anyway; and secondly, being on the Helios train doesn't mean that there can't be weekly or other developer/user drops in the meantime. It just means there will be something that those interested in EGit will be able to see earlier and (where we need to fill in the gaps) get user reports or even contributions.

3.6m5(a) is the "banzai" release where everyone tries to get last minute fixes in, after which things ramp down somewhat. That's scheduled for 29 Jan. But the API freeze isn't until 3.6m6 on 12 Mar and feature freeze in 3.6m7 on 30 Apr, after which it's bugfixes all the way to the bank.

The alternative would be not to try, in which case it would be looking at 3.7.

I hope once we are moved over the pace will pick up somewhat :-)

Alex

Back to the top