Re: [e4-dev] apitooling (was Re: Mandatory Gerrit usage for the e4 project?)

The API was backwards compatible, I always check that. Otherwise several of our examples would stop compiling. It was more some new API that does not work with the backwards compatible one because of a NPE at runtime.

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 12:12 PM, Markus Alexander Kuppe <e4-dev_eclipse.org@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 11/22/2013 11:33 AM, Dirk Fauth wrote:

> For example, yesterday I pushed an enhancement for NatTable. Just a
> little thing that improves the groupBy feature. Somebody else told me
> right after that, that it breaks backwards compatibility. I didn't
> notice it locally. I would have noticed it by looking into the code in
> Gerrit. And unfortunately for that case there was no test case. So it
> would have happened anyway. But with the matching test cases Gerrit
> would have been a great help.

Hi Dirk,

unrelated but still... to spot backward compatibility problems as early
as possible (development time), you should use apitooling and have a
baseline set.

M.