Re: [e4-dev] More info about the project

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 13:20, Tom Schindl <tom.schindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The compat stuff is found in "org.eclipse.e4.tools.compat"-bundle which
> holds the wrappers for ViewPart/EditorPart and the implementation of the
> DI-Container for a none 4.x environment.

Yes, and it works great. The only drawback is that it makes obsolete
some information on your blog about this.

> Some wrapper services are found in "org.eclipse.e4.tools.services" who
> e.g. provide the possibility to publish a selection (I hope we'll come
> up with a better solution in 4.1 to push back things into the context -
> bug 321201).

The way it looks, I will probably have some time available to dig into
e4 in the next months and I am willing to help out, if I manage to
understand the details :-) Hopefully I can read some more until the
summer vacations are over.

> Many of the currently available services in 4.0 are not really making a
> whole lot sense (e.g. EModelService, EPartService expect the
> ModeledWorkbench which is not available 3.x) other interesting things
> like Copy/PasteService, ... are not making a whole lot of sense.

This is a good example of what I meant with "understanding the
details": it is not obvious to me what parts do and don't make sense
in this context. This means that there's no chance to go too far
without substantial help from you (the e4 contributors in general, Tom
in particular).

The workbench is the most important thing inside Eclipse. If the
compatibility layer can't provide a replacement for the
ModeledWorkbench, then it can only be a half-measure solution at best.
On the other hand, its meaning is not to completely emulate e4 on 3x
(which is probably impossible too), so the question is where do we
draw the line...

As a plugin developer I want to make a transition from 3x to 4x that
is as smooth as possible. Given the number of plugins out there, any
help with this will be appreciated by a lot of people (possibly with
the exception of those that would earn their living from helping
others convert their code :-) ). The question is "what is reasonable
to set as a goal?".

I have some suggestions, but I will get back later with those.

regards,
Vlad

Back to the top