[e4-dev] e3x compatibility layer

Hi,

I'm moving this discussion to a new thread. The topic is the forward
compatibility layer that would allow writing plugins that will run on
3x as well as on 4x.

I said before:

> As a plugin developer I want to make a transition from 3x to 4x that
> is as smooth as possible. Given the number of plugins out there, any
> help with this will be appreciated by a lot of people (possibly with
> the exception of those that would earn their living from helping
> others convert their code :-) ). The question is "what is reasonable
> to set as a goal?".
>
> The workbench is the most important thing inside Eclipse. If the
> compatibility layer can't provide a replacement for the
> ModeledWorkbench, then it can only be a half-measure solution at best.
> On the other hand, its meaning is not to completely emulate e4 on 3x
> (which is probably impossible too), so the question is where do we
> draw the line...

As a plugin developer faced with the task of upgrading my code to e4,
I would like to:
- have a process to decide which of my own classes need to be handled
- have a process to handle said classes (for example the way a View is
currently split into Component+View)
- have a list of platform and application services that can be hidden
behind a common API (i.e. that the compatibility layer handles)
- for each service above, have description/examples of how to use the common API
- for the parts that can't be upgraded smoothly, have handy
information about the e4 way to do the similar thing

Thoughts?

best regards,
Vlad

Back to the top