Re: [e4-dev] Single application id in e4?

Hi Paul,

On Aug 13, 2009, at 7:58 AM, Paul Webster wrote:

Hi Patrick,

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 5:48 PM, Patrick Paulin<patrick@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
it seems that they all reference the same application extension:

org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.swt.application

Is this just a temporary solution or an actual requirement for e4?

That application is our main modeled workbench application.  Most e4
RCP apps can simply use that and provide their own .xmi file and
they're off to the races.

You can define your own application, you'll just have to replicate a
lot of the code that configures the e4 modeled workbench.  For
example, the compatibility layer (which modifies the
org.eclipse.ui.ide.application) configures an e4 workbench while
bringing up the legacy workbench.

Any chance that the WorkbenchApplication class could be moved out of the internal packages? This would allow developers to extend it if they wish. I looked at the class briefly, and it seems tangled up with other internals that would make replicating the logic a little cumbersome.

Regards,

--- Patrick

Patrick Paulin
Eclipse RCP/OSGi Trainer and Consultant