[e4-dev] Single application id in e4?

This is my first email to the list, so let me start by saying thanks for all the work so far! e4 looks amazing and I'm really excited to start using it. But of course, I now have questions and requests...

Looking at the sample applications (and the tutorial created by Lars Vogel), it seems that they all reference the same application extension:

org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.swt.application

Is this just a temporary solution or an actual requirement for e4?

The reason I ask is that I am interested in using the OSGi Application Admin Service with RCP applications. This service would require that every RCP app have a separate application id. If anyone is wondering what this would actually mean, the app admin service allows you to start an Eclipse application inside of a running OSGi server. This would allow you to, for instance, launch an RCP tool that could administer an OSGi-based ESB in-container.

BTW, this does not work with 3.5 RCP apps because of the PlatformUI singleton which cannot utilize a shared Display instance. I'm curious whether this problem would go away with e4.

Thanks!,

--- Patrick

Patrick Paulin
Eclipse RCP/OSGi Trainer and Consultant