Re: [e4-dev] Single application id in e4?

Hi Patrick,

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 5:48 PM, Patrick Paulin<patrick@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> it seems that they all reference the same application extension:
>
> org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.swt.application
>
> Is this just a temporary solution or an actual requirement for e4?

That application is our main modeled workbench application.  Most e4
RCP apps can simply use that and provide their own .xmi file and
they're off to the races.

You can define your own application, you'll just have to replicate a
lot of the code that configures the e4 modeled workbench.  For
example, the compatibility layer (which modifies the
org.eclipse.ui.ide.application) configures an e4 workbench while
bringing up the legacy workbench.

> BTW, this does not work with 3.5 RCP apps because of the PlatformUI
> singleton which cannot utilize a shared Display instance. I'm curious
> whether this problem would go away with e4.

That is one of the goals in e4.  There should be no main singleton
like PlatformUI (and no dependencies on singletons in the code).  In
theory you should be able to instantiate 2 modeled workbenches (even
in the same application) although we might not be there yet.  This of
course applies to e4 applications.

Applications will that use the legacy workbench will have to run the
compatibility layer, and the compatibility layer enforces the
PlatformUI singleton.

PW

--
Paul Webster