Re: [dash-dev] Maven wiki page and suggested repository layout

Am 19.03.2011 18:14, schrieb David Carver:
> If you don't want it public, don't put in in the Public Group or
> Public Snapshots.   Make eclipse projects use the specific URL for the
> proxy.   I still want to mirror central to reduce the overall
> bandwidth, and this way All eclipse projects running on eclipse
> provided sources are getting their artifacts from one place.     We
> can controll all of this through a settings.xml file.  Unfortunately
> since we don't have Nexus Pro we can't have nexus itself serve the
> settings.xml to the projects.
>
> Providing the mirroring functionality to me as a committer using tycho
> is one of the big selling points.

In that case, I'm missing something important here. My plan to use the
new repo is to build non-Eclipse, non-Tycho products which simply depend
on results that Eclipse projects produce, say SWT, EMF, you name it.

So I'm getting stuff from Central via my own Nexus proxy. Artifacts that
I consume only need to access Central if I disable the Orbit
dependencies (which I will do because I need non-EPL libraries in my
code, so Orbit is too limited for my use case).

At no time anything from Eclipse is compiled or built on
maven.eclipse.org, so no artifacts need to be downloaded from Central by
a machine located in the eclipse.org network.

When you build Eclipse bundles with Tycho, you need p2 repos (which
includes Orbit bundles). No Central here, either.

In fact, you must not use anything from Central directly since that
would violate Eclipse's IP rules. If you need something from Central, it
must be through Orbit.

So as I see it, we *must not* mirror Central on Eclipse.org. I'm pretty
sure it's not even legal under the rules imposed by the lawyers. I'm
even wary that I break the rules by running Maven 3 on the
maven.eclipse.org host to convert Eclipse bundles into Maven artifacts.
My m4e tools contain code to make sure no Central stuff spoils the
result. Legally, that would be a disaster.

Can you please explain to me what I'm missing? I really don't understand
why you need or could be allowed to use a Central proxy on
maven.eclipse.org.

Aaron "Optimizer" Digulla a.k.a. Philmann Dark "It's not the universe
that's limited, it's our imagination. Follow me and I'll show you
something beyond the limits." http://blog.pdark.de/

Back to the top