[cdt-dev] Indexer, build configurations and internal bulder

Hi,

There was a bug for this a while ago, but no one replied, so I'm going to
ask this on the mailing list. I think it's too important to be ignored.

Is there a concrete solution for how the indexer and different build
configurations are handled? Currently it is not obvious to the user at all
what the indexer is going to index while working with multiple configs.

Correct me if I am wrong, but as far as I know the internal builder depends
on the indexer for dependency calculations. So if the indexer is not setup
correctly for a build config, the incremental build will produce
unpredictable results? That wouldn't be good at all.

Using the rename refactoring might produce unpredictable results, too, if
the user does not know what exactly the indexer is going to index.

I don't know much about how indexers work in detail, but I guess the best
solution would be an indexer which supports multiple build configs. I guess
in most cases the different build configurations will have 90% or so of
common sources, so maybe the indexer would only have to additionally index
the 10% which are different between the configs.

There was the discussion about setting an active index build configuration.
But this might still affect the internal builder? The builder might
calculate dependencies based on config A, while the actual config to build
is config B.

Another option was to create seperate indexes for seperate build configs.
That would probably be the best solution in my case (small projects).
Changes to the code would have to be processed for all build config indexes,
though.

Is there any progress on this discussion?

Sascha

Back to the top