From: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Sascha Radike
Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2007 8:06 PM
To: 'CDT General developers list.'
Subject: [cdt-dev] Project model: More questions and some feedback

Hi,

I've got some more questions/suggestions regarding the project model. Please

tell me if I should raise a bug.

QUESTIONS:

--- What exactly is the difference between setting up source folders (source

locations), source location exclusion filters and excluding resources from

built (resource properties)?

[Mikhail] These settings should be consistent with each other, so there should be no difference between them. Please raise a bug if you see any inconsistency.

Why is it possible to exclude resources from build, which are not within a

source build path ?

[Mikhail] Could you create a bug for this, describing steps to reproduce?

--- Let's assume I have a plugin which provides source locations, include

folder and macro settings based on an external file which can be edited by

the user. What would be the best way to let the model know about these

settings?

Should these settings be added manually by creating CSourceEntry,

CIncludePath, CMacroEntry and adding these to the configuration/resource ?

Or is there a way to register some kind of dynamic provider which the model

will ask?

[Mikhail] Currently you will have to do it manually, but I guess we could automate this.

There CProjectDescription framework already contains the internal functionality that allows dynamic adding settings exported by other projects, and

I think it can be easily adopted to what you want, i.e. to something like the “External SDKs” approach.

I’m going to work on debugging/enhancing the project references mechanism next week and will look into this as well.

Could you raise an enhancement request for this?

Is there a way to make these settings read-only? Since they are defined by

an external file they should appear on the C/C++ paths and symbols, but the

user should not be able to delete/edit them. I noticed the READONLY flag for

ICSettingEntry, but it does not seem to have any effect.

[Mikhail] I’m not sure this is needed. There were complains already regarding the inability to modify(unset) the “builtin” discovered settings (i.e. includes and symbols). I think the users should be able to perform any adjustments they want while being able to restore the default settings.

--- I asked this before so I will make this a short question: When I add a

sub folder like Project\folderA\folderB to the source locations, the project

view will show a folder with the full name "folderA\FolderB". Is this

intended? Or a bug? Will source locations always show up in the root, even

if they are subfolders? Looks kind of weird.

[Mikhail] This is the initial behavior that was in CDT before, we did not change anything regarding this with the New Project Model functionality.

I don’t know why the source location folders are displayed in this way, but the current behavior does not seem user-friendly to me as well. I think you should raise a bug regarding this.

SUGGESTIONS:

--- When I exclude a folder from built only this folder does get marked as

"excluded" in the project view but all subfolders and files are not marked

as excluded. I think all children of an excluded folder should be marked

excluded, too. Just like in MSVC :)

[Mikhail] Please raise a bug regarding this and we’ll consider this.

--- Adding property pages I noticed there are quite alot of C/C++ property

pages like C/C++ Build settings, C/C++ Variables, .... Wouldn't it make

sense to group those properties just like Java and PDE do?

Like:

      C/C++

            Build settings

            Build Variables

Or maybe:

      C/C++ Build

            Settings

            Variables

      C/C++ Preferences

            Indexer

[Mikhail] That’s a great point. Could you raise a bug regarding this so that we could discuss the possible approaches there? In my turn I’ll think on the best way(s) of grouping settings and post some suggestions there.

--- The context menu of the project explorer is quite long (especially for

C/C++ projects). I guess it would make sense to group some C/C++ actions.

[Mikhail] Good point as well. Could you raise a bud regarding this?

Thanks,

Mikhail

Mmm, there was more... well, next time :)

Thanks in advance

Sascha