[cdt-dev] Project model: More questions and some feedback

Hi,

I've got some more questions/suggestions regarding the project model. Please
tell me if I should raise a bug.

QUESTIONS:
--- What exactly is the difference between setting up source folders (source
locations), source location exclusion filters and excluding resources from
built (resource properties)?

Why is it possible to exclude resources from build, which are not within a
source build path ?

--- Let's assume I have a plugin which provides source locations, include
folder and macro settings based on an external file which can be edited by
the user. What would be the best way to let the model know about these
settings?

Should these settings be added manually by creating CSourceEntry,
CIncludePath, CMacroEntry and adding these to the configuration/resource ?
Or is there a way to register some kind of dynamic provider which the model
will ask?

Is there a way to make these settings read-only? Since they are defined by
an external file they should appear on the C/C++ paths and symbols, but the
user should not be able to delete/edit them. I noticed the READONLY flag for
ICSettingEntry, but it does not seem to have any effect.

--- I asked this before so I will make this a short question: When I add a
sub folder like Project\folderA\folderB to the source locations, the project
view will show a folder with the full name "folderA\FolderB". Is this
intended? Or a bug? Will source locations always show up in the root, even
if they are subfolders? Looks kind of weird.

SUGGESTIONS:

--- When I exclude a folder from built only this folder does get marked as
"excluded" in the project view but all subfolders and files are not marked
as excluded. I think all children of an excluded folder should be marked
excluded, too. Just like in MSVC :)

--- Adding property pages I noticed there are quite alot of C/C++ property
pages like C/C++ Build settings, C/C++ Variables, .... Wouldn't it make
sense to group those properties just like Java and PDE do?

Like:
	C/C++
		Build settings
		Build Variables

Or maybe:
	C/C++ Build
		Settings
		Variables
	C/C++ Preferences
		Indexer

--- The context menu of the project explorer is quite long (especially for
C/C++ projects). I guess it would make sense to group some C/C++ actions.

Mmm, there was more... well, next time :)

Thanks in advance

Sascha

Back to the top