Re: [cdt-dev] Fw: CDT 2.1.1 Build I200502031120 completed

Actually I would call 2.1.1 a maintenance release. I remember a discussion
that we had at one of the calls where I expressed the wish that we could
take a build at any time on the maintenance branch and call it a
maintenance release. We would bless it with a number when we felt good
enough to promote it as an official release.

So for these x.x.x releases, I think it is sufficient to produce a build
when someone requests it. If the build turns out to be pretty good, we can
vote to bless it with a number.

The issue that comes to mind is the CVS tag. I need to make sure I tag
these builds so I can go back and give it the release tag when we vote for
it. I'll do this for the next 2.1.1 build (unless there have been no
changes since then in which case I can tag it now).

We'll follow this process for the 2.0.x stream which we at IBM are
currently using as well.

This whole releng process should be written down somewhere so I can hand
it off some day...

Doug Schaefer
Ottawa Lab, IBM Rational Software Division

"Alain Magloire" <alain@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: cdt-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
02/04/2005 12:13 PM
Please respond to
cdt-dev

cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
cdt-test-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject
Re: [cdt-dev] Fw: CDT 2.1.1 Build I200502031120 completed

> Here's a 2.1.1 build. This includes the latest off of cdt_21 including
> version number changes.

Cool!! merci bucket.

> I'm not sure we need to call it an RC0 since we
> don't really have a formal release candidate plan, no?

In the past, 2.0.{1,2} and the other minor releases
we did not have either.  The only markings were the
the PRs with a specific TargetMilesone indicating
which problems the committers were tackling.

Did you have something else in mind, in term of process, for a minor
release ?