Re: [cdt-dev] new architecture support

Super, Greg. We had a kind of false start on our previous Mac ports so I'm
glad to see this. I am also keen on the Linux ppc support. By the sounds
of it, you have the same setup I do, i.e. a Mac G5 with YDL (or did you
get gentoo working?).

We're in the middle of a black hole as far as getting new plugins created.
As soon as we can find our way out we'll set things up for you and start
committing patches. The differences between the platforms is so minor, we
haven't found the need to run full regression tests on each of them. As
long as the CDT gets regular use on each platform, I would consider that
enough.

One thing to note, you no longer need a separate feature/plugin for a new
platform. All you need is the fragments for org.eclipse.cdt.core, one for
macosx and one for linux.ppc. In the short term, I have checked in the
linux/ppc version of the linux libraries into our
org.eclipse.cdt.core.linux fragment. Actually if you grab CDT 2.0M8 for
linux.gtk.x86 and install it into a linux.gtk.ppc version of eclipse, you
should be able to get the CDT running there.

Cheers,
Doug Schaefer, IBM's Eclipse CDT Architect
Ottawa (Palladium), Ontario, Canada

Greg Watson <gwatson@xxxxxxxx>
Sent by: cdt-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
04/27/2004 07:51 PM
Please respond to
cdt-dev

cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[cdt-dev] new architecture support

Hi,

We are starting an Eclipse-based project, more details of which I will
provide soon. I the mean time, I will be supporting CDT 2.0M8 (and
Eclipse 3.0M8) on two architectures: macosx/carbon/ppc and linux/*/ppc.
So far I have created org.eclipse.cdt.core.macosx,
org.eclipse.cdt.macosx.carbon and org.eclipse.cdt.macosx.carbon-feature
projects, but have a few questions I'd appreciate if someone would
answer:

1. The org.eclipse.cdt.core.* projects include a library folder with a
bunch of pty routines. How do you configure and build and install this
as part of the project? Also, the Makefile needs JAVA_HOME to be set.
Is it defined internally in the Eclipse environment somewhere (if it is
I'm damned if I can find it)?

2. This project also include the ProcessList class. Although I've
implemented it, I can't find any reference to it in the cdt code. Is it
still in use?

3. How would you like the projects contributed, and what are your
policies for regression testing, etc?

Regards,

Greg