Re: [cdt-dev] new architecture support

On 28/04/2004, at 12:03 PM, Douglas Schaefer wrote:

Super, Greg. We had a kind of false start on our previous Mac ports so I'm glad to see this. I am also keen on the Linux ppc support. By the sounds
of it, you have the same setup I do, i.e. a Mac G5 with YDL (or did you
get gentoo working?).

Yes, YDL on the G5, but I also have a G4 powerbook with YDL and another running OSX. Eclipse seems a bit sluggish on OSX so I'm interested to see how it performs under Linux. What version of Java are you using on the ppc, or did you port the JDK yourself?

We're in the middle of a black hole as far as getting new plugins created. As soon as we can find our way out we'll set things up for you and start committing patches. The differences between the platforms is so minor, we
haven't found the need to run full regression tests on each of them. As
long as the CDT gets regular use on each platform, I would consider that
enough.

Sounds fine to me.

One thing to note, you no longer need a separate feature/plugin for a new platform. All you need is the fragments for org.eclipse.cdt.core, one for
macosx and one for linux.ppc. In the short term, I have checked in the
linux/ppc version of the linux libraries into our
org.eclipse.cdt.core.linux fragment. Actually if you grab CDT 2.0M8 for
linux.gtk.x86 and install it into a linux.gtk.ppc version of eclipse, you
should be able to get the CDT running there.

So far I've built the cdt.core.macosx fragment and I'm adding support for the MacOS X tool chain and Mach-O binary support to the managed builder plugin. Pointers to other plugins that need work would be appreciated.

I can build a standard make project and debug a C code. For some reason it doesn't display any variables though, so things are not quite working correctly.

I'll start work on the ppc version next.

Regards,

Greg

Back to the top