RE: [cdt-debug-dev] What's the "Working directory" in theLaunch Config UI ?

John, I cann't agree more.

As to the UI, as we can hardly find a standard way of telling whether it's remote debug or local, I think it will be up to each debug implementation (product provider) to subclass or create its own ArgumentTab and distinguish between remote and local in its own way.  In other words, the CArgumentTab from CDT & DSF should just be used as a reference.

- Ling

From: cdt-debug-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:cdt-debug-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of ext John Cortell
Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2008 1:31 PM
To: CDT Debug developers list; cdt-debug-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [cdt-debug-dev] What's the "Working directory" in theLaunch Config UI ?

Ling, for sure the working directory preference should represent the WD of the program being debugged. Any treatment of it a anything else seems like a bug to me and should be fixed. If we need a similar pref for gdb, then that should go in the Debugger tab.

As for whether it makes sense for the LC to allow the user to navigate to a local directory: the answer is yes, and no. Yes, if debugging locally; no if debugging remotely. If there's a way to distinguish within the LC UI, then the Workspace and File System... buttons should be disabled. So, e.g., for a JTAG LC, those buttons should be disabled. But I suspect that's the best we can do. In a standard LC, what would we use as criteria for knowing it's a "remote" session. Even with gdbserver as the selected debugger, you could conceivably be debugging an executable running on the host.

John