[cdt-debug-dev] What's the "Working directory" in the Launch Config UI ?

Hi, there,

This seems like a basic issue that's not clearly defined.

In the CDT (and DSF) launch configuration preference panel "Arguments"
(internally CArgumentTab), there is the "Working directory" option. My
question is, what is that option supposed to mean, working directory of
the debugger (e.g. gdb), or that of the debugged program ?

For local debug, the difference usually does not matter much. But for
remote debug, the working directory of the debugged program should be a
dir on remote device/machine, while the working directory of the
debugger is on host PC.

>From the source code I can see that it's treated as working dir for
debugger.

But the UI is ambiguous. "arguments" are surely for debugged program, so
user would take it for granted that the "working directory" there is for
his program, though actually it's not.

Actually for a user, what he cares about is the working directory of his
program, not the debugger. But the UI (the "browse" buttons, and the
validator that checks if the directory exists on host PC) requires that
the working directory to be on host PC, which impose a problem for
remote debug.

So I think we should first decide on what the "working directory" should
be, and then decide on what to change about UI.

- Ling

Back to the top