Re: [cdt-debug-dev] Some suggestions about debugger

Alain Magloire writes:

 > > This is a multipart message in MIME format.
 > > --=_alternative 00596D35C3256C7C_=
 > >
 > >    Hi all!!!
 > >
 > > What do you think about following Debugger's functionality -  show
 > > changing registers and memory while program is launching.  I mean that
 > > Debugger should somehow(by timer or somehow else) watch for registers, for
 > > example, and change their values during  launching the program. So user
 > > resumes program, it launches and in the same time  value of registers in
 > > Register View changes.
 > >
 > >  I don't know just now is it difficult to do this but I think it will be
 > > nice feature.
 > >

 > I think, what you are looking for is tracepoints(see gdb manual) or collect,
 >
 >  tracepoints -- Tracing of program execution without stopping the program
 >
 > The debugger is collecting data while the information is running and it could
 > be display.

Correct.

 > gdb has the framework for it, but it is not supported in gdb mi, or rather
 > the commands are noops.
 > I do not know if gdb supports this for all platform or even for GNU/Linux.
 >
 > It could be fake by suspending the program, collecting some data and resume
 > etc .. first glance this seems to be very intrusive.

The tracepoint mechanism was implemented for a target that couldn't be
stopped, since it was running very critical applications.  The
information collected could be 'played back' later, and the behavior
of gdb wuld be as it was connecting to a live target.

The target was a remote target, not native, i.e. it was talking to gdb
using the remote protocol, over a serial line (IIRC).  In any event, a
stub on the remote target is required, because it needs to know how
to collect the information that the gdb user wants. However the target
stub was privately implemented and never released, so the tracepoint
mechanism is not really usable at this stage. You would need to write
something equivalent, and make sure that it works in a native
environment.

Elena