Re: [cdt-debug-dev] Some suggestions about debugger

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002, Alain Magloire wrote:

> gdb has the framework for it, but it is not supported in gdb mi, or rather
> the commands are noops.
> I do not know if gdb supports this for all platform or even for GNU/Linux.

MI commands are almost trivial to implement... GDB supports tracepoints
only for "remote" targets, but it could be changed to allow this on
natives.

> It could be fake by suspending the program, collecting some data and resume
> etc .. first glance this seems to be very intrusive.

Well, the exact semantics of how the data are collected are not dictated
by GDB. Instead, the actual guts of the tracepoint code is contained in
the target's debug agent (aka stub). It is the stub that is responsible
for collecting the required information. GDB simply dictates a way for
the user to specify what to collect (and when), a way to communicate this
information to a debug agent, and a way to collect and display the
results to the user.

Right now, I know of no active tracepoint implementations, although I've
heard rumors that several companies are using it in one way or another
(but are not interested in donating the work back to the community --
filthy leeches!).

Keith

Back to the top