Re: [cbi-dev] Publish eclipse-parent and maven-cbi-plugin to Nexus

On 09/11/2012 07:19 PM, Paul Webster wrote:
On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 6:31 AM, Mike Milinkovich <mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I know that Andrew has long had similar ideas. But maven.eclipse.org needs some love as I understand it.

The maven CBI plugin is probably a good candidate to push to maven.eclipse.org or maven central (depending on where we want to get things from).

Maven.eclipse.org would be a sufficient target in a first time. Publishing to Central or oss.sonatype.org introduce some additional steps in the process, which I think don't make sense or added-value in our use-case.
I think hudson.eclipse.org already defines the configuration in its settings.xml, so achieving it would simply be about adding the right "distributionManagement" block in the parent pom.xml, and setting up CI jobs on parent and maven-cbi-plugin and say "mvn deploy"

eclipse-parent I think needs would probably need to be split before it's more useful, as it contains platform specific build repos as well as more useful common profiles, or go under a more restrictive group id:
I advise first changing groupId (to org.eclipse.platform or org.eclipse.platform.releng) and then publish to Nexus. So it won't collide with current "eclipse-parent" plugin. Once it is published and used by platform build, we may be able to think about some refactorings to make it more useful. For other projects, groupId starts with org.eclipse.<projectName> (just as package name), platform should follow this convention instead of introducing a org.eclipse.releng.
I also think renaming artifactId from eclipse-parent to parent would make it clear enough.

If we want to have a general parent pom for Eclipse, that needs to be developed outside of the Platform build, in an autonomous project (Dash/CBI...) IMHO. Platform build seems to have lots of differences with other projects, so I'm not sure it's the right project to pick in order to deduce a generic parent pom that would be helpful for all Eclipse.org projects.
I think this eclipse-parent is a good candidate for such goal: http://maven.eclipse.org/nexus/content/groups/public/org/eclipse/eclipse-parent/3/

Cheers,
--
Mickael Istria