From: buckminster-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:buckminster-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of ken1
Sent: Friday, August 04, 2006 3:48 PM
To: buckminster-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [buckminster-dev] Update Manager for buckminster workaround
or doesnot work at all ?

MessageHi,

Starting from the bottom, testing the update site directly in the
browser is
a good way to ascertain basic connectivity. However, surfing directly to
the
...updates directory is not possible; the access denied error you get is

normal. This is because the web server is not configured to allow
directory
browsing and is not something I/we have control over. The actual URL the

update manager is aiming at is actually this:
http://download.eclipse.org/technology/buckminster/updates/site.xml.
Enter
this, and you should see the xml file.

Assuming this works, I'm betting it's something simple that gives you
the
error when trying the update manager. I tested and manually entered the
URL
http://download.eclipse.org/technology/buckminster/updates as the
'remote
site' and it seems to work for me. It can be something so mundane as a
typo
(lord knows I frequently make those when entering update site URL's -
for
example some sites use 'update' and others, like us, use 'updates').
Please
double-check...

If this still fails I'm a bit at a loss - something internal to your
organization? Maybe you're behind a proxy (the preferences for the
update
manager allows you to fill in proxy information). Which method do you
use
(the page has a preconfigured bookmarks.xml you can use instead of
manually
entering the URL(s)...I haven't tested this myself yet though, I will).
Also, check your error log for something more specific (the error
message is
pretty much a catch-all for any network problem).

Hope this helps, come back if it still doesn't work,

ken1