Re: [buckminster-dev] Update Manager for buckminster workaround or doesnot work at all ?

MessageHi,

Starting from the bottom, testing the update site directly in the browser is
a good way to ascertain basic connectivity. However, surfing directly to the
...updates directory is not possible; the access denied error you get is
normal. This is because the web server is not configured to allow directory
browsing and is not something I/we have control over. The actual URL the
update manager is aiming at is actually this:
http://download.eclipse.org/technology/buckminster/updates/site.xml. Enter
this, and you should see the xml file.

Assuming this works, I'm betting it's something simple that gives you the
error when trying the update manager. I tested and manually entered the URL
http://download.eclipse.org/technology/buckminster/updates as the 'remote
site' and it seems to work for me. It can be something so mundane as a typo
(lord knows I frequently make those when entering update site URL's - for
example some sites use 'update' and others, like us, use 'updates'). Please
double-check...

If this still fails I'm a bit at a loss - something internal to your
organization? Maybe you're behind a proxy (the preferences for the update
manager allows you to fill in proxy information). Which method do you use
(the page has a preconfigured bookmarks.xml you can use instead of manually
entering the URL(s)...I haven't tested this myself yet though, I will).
Also, check your error log for something more specific (the error message is
pretty much a catch-all for any network problem).

Hope this helps, come back if it still doesn't work,

ken1