Re: [buckminster-dev] ResourceMap and properties

Inlined properties sounds like a good idea. What's your opinion on priority between inlined and those found by URL?

Actually, I don't think I thought it through - I envisioned something like this:

<props>
   <prop key="a" value="b"/>
   <prop key="aa" value="bb"/>
   <extprops url="http://some.where/foo.props"/>
   <prop key="aaa" value="bbb"/>
   <extprops url="http://some.where.else/bar.props"/>
   <prop ...
   ...(continue intermixed)
</props>

But I realize that won't fly - because, as you say, there's a prio question between them...

I guess the only realistic idea is to add a sub point in the prop prio order:

1) rmap properties...but they can be overridden by:
2a) cquery inlined properties...but they can be overridden by:
2b) cquery url referenced properties...but they can be overridden by:
3) site-specific properties...but they can be overridden by:
4) 'java -Dsomeprop=somevalue' properties

Not sure about 0-M URL's. Isn't that taking it a bit too far? Or should

No, agree. That's beyond need, and as it looks like mirrors in mirrors already, scratch that.

I agree with this. The URL's should be relative. When resolving, you always now the origin of the query. The result of a resolve (the BOM) must probably contain expanded information (i.e. the contents of the rmap and all various property settings). So by then, the URL's are no longer an issue.

I think this won't fly (yet) because you state 'you always know the origin of the query'. Unfortunately you don't...:-(. As we've seen, if you ask Eclipse to do File/Open File... you can indeed give an URL. BUT: the stupid thing gets downloaded locally first, and *then* our cquery parser comes in and get's handed a systemId to the local location. If so, we're hopelessly lost with using a relative URL from that :-(. But I may be wrong - maybe there's something else I'm unaware of here, that would be nice...

Why can't QA simply use a 'clean' cquery if they so wish? Not sure I see the benefit of an 'off'' switch.

I was thinking along the lines of that it's important for a paranoid QA to ensure no one has messed with their supposedly 'clean' cquery. Also, it would open for both Dev and QA to both use the *same* cquery URL, and slowly allow the cquery getting versioned such that it *eventually* is clean (in the meantime allow both paranoid and flexible use which works both directions - a dev can quickly try using it 'clean' and realize why QA is screaming :-). But then again, we've talked about cquery as something you potentially have 'many' of for various uses. Perhaps what I'm envisioning is the 'true official project cquery' and all others are developer managed etc.

Nah, I don't have a good rationale for going either way yet...we can definitively leave it on the backburner for now. It makes more sense to discuss later in a 'process' or 'best practices' context I think...

Back to the top