Re: [buckminster-dev] ResourceMap and properties

Kenneth Ölwing wrote:
One thought that crossed my mind, as complexity goes up regarding what is actually specified, I can imagine people getting into trouble with the many levels of indirection; RMAP pointing to RMAP etc. but now also taking "layered" parameters into account. The day when something does not materialize ok, I would want to know what actually happened - what parameters were overridden, and by what, and to be able to follow the flow - this so I can debug.

Just to touch on the subject again, yes, I'm also concerned about the layeredness, but I believe it's necessary to enable developer flexibility which is important. The other side of the coin, I think of it as the 'QA perspective', is hopefully taken care of other mechanism, chief among them the ability to run materializations etc with 'all overrides turned off'. Other mechanisms is also controlling BOM's etc.
Lot's of room for cool GUI improvements here. First and foremost a good RMAP editor that is able to handle RMAP federations. Other things that spring to mind is a graphical representation of the result of a transitive resolve with clickable nodes that show information about decisions that where made.

- Does the BOM show info where the bits came from? (I know I have still to document the BOM :)

The BOM does indeed show exactly where things originated (all references to repositories are broken down to as fixed specs as possible - for a P4 repo, a change number is used, in CVS a timestamp etc etc). All of this obviously hinges on dependable repositories...:-). An extension to this should/will (?) be manifests describing the contents of a given materialization - this will give a high degree of debugging capability in detecting errors even in such things. The manifest classes with generation, diffing, support for >1 line ending convention & algorithm support is implemented. The only thing lacking from them is proper XML serialization/deserialization support (it currently uses a very simple linebased mechanism for that which works in the interim).

- Should the BOM contain info about overridden parameters?

As mentioned, I'm also thinking if that would be a good thing. Considering the role of the BOM - such info should perhaps not be there (*how* the BOM came to be is different from *what* it is)...so maybe a separate 'flow log' of some kind would be more natural? Geared specifically to contain decision & override stuff. This would be mostly of interest for debugging and backtracking use I guess...

The BOM must contain info about all bits and pieces and their origin. Simply put, I think that aside from the current set of fixed repository designators it will also contain a snapshot of:

1) The system properties
2) The site properties
3) Property file(s) appointed by the cquery
4) The appointed resource map(s)
5) The cquery

Item #3 and #4 ties back to the question of relative URL's in the query. I believe that A snapshot of the actual data makes it a non-issue to have that.

We already store all this information in the workspace meta-data but our current BOM needs some additional work

- thomas

Back to the top