Re: [babel-dev] Does Eclipse Babel suffer from the "not invented here" syndrome?

Bjorn, so then if you appreciate my company I feel can continue a
little bit further :)

Right now, for the Babel project you are going to need two different
communities to form, one of developers, for the platform and one of
translators for the actual work. One is going to wait for the other.
This seems counter productive to me.
I think the most important is the translators community, the sooner
you give them the tools they need, the sooner (and the better) the
project will get started.
Let's face it, there is not a lot of translators out there willing to
work for free. Being able to get some of those that work on projects
like Mozilla, OpenOffice, GNU/Linux, KDE, etc. and that are used to
tools like KBabel or Pootle to work as well on Eclipse should be one
of your main concern.

I don't want to go on a side by side comparison of features, (besides,
Pootle supports Java property files) but there is a lot of features
that really helps translators (including a revision workflow), and I
would be surprised that Eclipse be so special as to have requirements
so different than that of the above cited projects (not all GPL).
And even so, where I used to work, it would certainly be one of that
case where adopting something that already exists encompass the
missing, yagni, features.

Actually, if I was you I think I would even use the Decathlon project
(http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/decathlon/mainpage) to host
Babel (at least the translation part of it). I mean, if I was so much
concerned about the project not starting because of the lack of
community interest and staff resourcing I would try to provide a
maximum of features with the least of efforts.

If I was able to save some time from my work and family life I would
be happy to contribute more. I hope, I will, one day.

This time I am off :)
Regards,
Claude

PS: You should give a percentage of completion in the "Translation
progress" widget of the Babel home page instead of numbers (number of
what by the way?)