Re: [babel-dev] Does Eclipse Babel suffer from the "not invented here" syndrome?

Hi Bjorn,

Thanks for the reply.
Yes you are right, pootle is GPL, and I may be wrong but the Eclipse
foundation is surely running GPL'ed software to support the
development of the various Eclipse projects.
License issues come into play only if you plan to deliver code, not
when you use it.
To serve the higher goal of delivering a multi-lingual Eclipse I do
not see the benefit of first building a software package.
As far as I remember the Eclipse foundation did not decide to build a
source repository prior to code the first lines of Eclipse code.
If I remember well they decided to use CVS, which license is not
exactly compatible with EPL, is it?

Regards,
Claude Vedovini
http://vedovini.net/

>  Claude,
>  A good question, thanks. If you look at Pootle, you'll see that it's
>  GPL'ed. The Eclipse Foundation uses EPL plus EPL and GPL are
>  incompatible licenses. Thus we could not have an Eclipse project (Babel)
>  that included Pootle code.
>
>  - Bjorn

Back to the top