Re: [babel-dev] Does Eclipse Babel suffer from the "not invented here" syndrome?

Title: New Page 1
Claude,
Yes but... Babel is a full Eclipse project whereas CVS is not. Because Babel is a full Eclipse project, the code hosted in our source code control system for the community to work on is considered a "delivery" and thus it cannot be GPL.

Next you're going to say if we contributed to Pootle at its native server, we wouldn't have to have the Pootle code in the eclipse.org source code control system and thus the GPL issues wouldn't apply ...but... Eclipse Foundation employees (e.g., Denis, Gabe, and myself) do not work on GPL code (anywhere) and thus we would not have been able to help get Babel off the ground. Given that Babel had been discussed for almost two years with no progress before we (Denis and Gabe) stepped up to make it real, it appears that we needed Foundation employees to give it a kick start.

So, with all the considerations involved, starting from the Aptana code base was the best we could do.

- Bjorn
License issues come into play only if you plan to deliver code, not
when you use it

--
[end of message]

Back to the top