Re: [smarthome-dev] Merge strategy

> Hm, right, by not having a merge commit anymore, we are losing the automatic references to the PRs, what is not nice.

Also with the merge commit it is not nice.
Example:
commit A has been created on 2016-03-01
commit A has been merged on 2016-04-04, so there is a merge commit B
with the date 2016-04-04
If we look at the log of the commits the two commits are separated by
a lot of other commits.
I do not know an eady way to find the merge commit (B) of commit A to
see which PR commit A is part of.
I can use the Github search but this is another point and not really nice.

> I think it is therefore important to manually add the reference in the commit message, yes.
> Should this be done by the author or the committer?

It should be done my the committer (merging one). The author does not
know the PR number if he creates his commit because the PR is created
after the one or the multiple commits.

> We would need to update the contributing documentation before we switch to this new mode. It probably also makes sense to do the same process changes in openHAB, so that contributors from there are not confused about what style has to be done where.

The author / PR creator does not need to change anything (IMHO), he
creates his PR as before.
The "committer" (not the Git jargon, but the Eclipse one) guidelines
have to be changed, that the committer / merging person adds a PR
line.

Back to the top