Re: [science-iwg] Top Level Project update

On 2016-04-20 03:52 PM, Torkild Ulvøy Resheim wrote:
I’m quite certain we will only be able to use ourselves to LGPL or equivalent licenses (if that) as GPL is quite infectious[1]. Using GPL or other copyleft licenses in Eclipse projects would probably be a show-stopper for anyone using i.e. Eclipse RCP in commercial products - and those are many.

Best regards,
Torkild

[1]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyleft
>20. apr. 2016 kl. 21.44 skrev Erwin de Ley<erwin.de.ley@xxxxxxxxxx>:
>
>disclaimer : I have no idea about the details / previous discussions on this.
>
>but my 1 cent : I would like b, but not only limited to LGPL, but extended to include all kinds of "dangerous things".
>
>If there would be a solution to allow project packages maintained under the eclipse umbrella, but consisting of a mix of "officially stamped" eclipse modules and some clearly documented set of "third-party" dependency modules that don't need to follow strict eclipse rules, that would be ideal for Triquetrum.
Erwin,

Torkild is correct. What you have described is not going to happen.

That said, what you are describing with "Eclipse stamped" and "third party" modules is a something that happens a lot at Eclipse. But it's done via mechanisms like Marketplace.

--
Mike Milinkovich
mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxx

Back to the top