Re: [kura-dev] question about kura's configuration service

Hi Scott,

On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 11:24 PM, Lewis, ScottX <scottx.lewis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks Jens.

A couple of follow-up questions below.

<stuff deleted>
Hello Scott,

"develop" is 3.0.

Technically what is happening is that the Kura configuration service does forward all configuration updates to the OSGi ConfigAdmin. Which actually overwrites everything which is in the OSGi ConfigAdmin. It also only works with the Equinox ConfigAdmin, there is some issue when using the Felix ConfigAdmin which causes duplicate entries. I am not sure what causes this up until now but I am not sure if it is worth tracking this down.

There are some know oddities with the Kura ConfigurationService and my hope is that we can replace the Kura ConfigurationService with the default OSGi ConfigAdmin in the 3.0 release cycle or in the following release.

[Scott]  Does this mean that org.eclipse.kura.configuration.ConfigurableComponent will still be used to indicate a component that is to be presented in the Kura Admin UI?  Or will there be something else (e.g. just using the metatype info?)

Using the Meta Type information would be enough IMHO. The OSGi ConfigAdmin also has no marker interface. As I said, I would like to stick to native OSGi.

Another Admin UI question:   Will Kura support ComponentFactories as ConfigurableComponents within the Kura Admin UI?   e.g. and allow multiple instances of a service to be created via that ComponentFactory?

To me the Kura Web UI would then "just" be a UI for the OSGi ConfigAdmin service. So everything which is supported by OSGi would be covered.

[Jens]

My idea is to only use the OSGi ConfigAdmin and provide a set of addons to that, implementing the features Kura need (encryption, rollbacks, import/export). But sticking to standard OSGi functionality and tooling for all the rest.

[Scott]  Do you expect these to be implemented via ConfigurationPlugins?

I have no expectations at the moment ;-) But if you have a good idea. let's discuss it!

I already looked into the Equinox CM in the base, due to some bugs I encountered. It is quite .. well ... suboptimal. So I switched to Apache Felix CM. Which works great! I also heard a bit about a reference implementation for the OSGi R7 CM.

So my plan was to look into R7 and then maybe build something based on top of that or based on Apache Felix CM. And of course look for anything else "out there" before implementing something. So if you have a good idea, now would be the best time ;-)

I hope this helps a bit.

Cheers

Jens

Thanksinadvance,