Re: [ide-dev] Highlights for 2023-03 landing page

Hi Andrey, hi all,

There are two questions:
- What are the six highlights of the Eclipse IDE 2023-03 release to be shown at eclipseide.org? - Which Eclipse Java IDE 2023-03 improvements should I show in my next video?

In 2023-03 there are not that many new features. The Bytcode view you contributed to JDT (many thanks for that!) is one of the few new features. But the Bytcode view is included in the SDK only, so I think it would be misleading to call it a new Eclipse IDE(!) highlight as long as the Bytecode view is not part of the Java IDE packages.

Should I show the Bytecode view in my video? If so, an explanation of how to get it would be probably necessary, but then one would wonder why it is not included. I’m not sure, but I think it is better not to show the Bytecode view in my video when it is not included in the Java IDE packages.

I would love to have the Bytecode view in all Java IDE packages (still hoping it’s not too late for 2023-03): https://eclip.se/581619

According to Lakshmi, there will be no Marketplace entry "Java 20 Support for Eclipse 2023-03 (4.27)" at the time of the 2023-03 release, but maybe later. I’m concerned that JDK is that badly understaffed.

My main focus is creating the video, but I do my best to give my input to the landing page and report issues I find while testing the new features. In the meantime, I tested almost all the new features of the Java IDE 2023-03. I hope I have not overlooked anything important:
https://github.com/howlger/Eclipse-IDE-improvements-videos#features-to-show

New issue found (maybe only on Windows 11 with a fresh workspace, but makes Alt+Shift+R unusable and looks bad):
https://github.com/eclipse-jdt/eclipse.jdt.ui/pull/443

I could not reproduce the JGit performance improvement in EGit (in the History view, I didn’t notice any performance differences with and without the commit-graph for the Linux Git repositories). But I see a significant speedup by the Java compiler, probably due to or mainly due to
https://github.com/eclipse-jdt/eclipse.jdt.core/issues/549
Wouldn’t that be worth mentioning as well?

How about linking the six highlights of the landing page to the corresponding project "New and Noteworthy" item? It would be a bit more work, but maybe worth it to somewhat compensate for the lack of an aggregated "New and Noteworthy" list?

Thanks,

Holger