Re: [ide-dev] Highlights for 2023-03 landing page

See my answers inline to questions where I can something contribute.

On Thursday March 2 15:36:11 2023 (+01:00), Holger Voormann wrote:

>   The "Bytecode" view (and for details, the "Bytecode Reference" view)
>   is useful for Java developers in general to get an insight into the
>   bytecode, whereas the AST view (and for details, the "Element" view)
>   is only useful when developing something using the Eclipse compiler
>   for Java (ecj) as dependency, right?

Almost. AST/Element views are useful for JDT core developers (ecj is a subset of JDT core).

>   I would like to see the "Bytecode" view included in all Java IDE
>   packages.

If you want it to be in other packages, open tickets for the package maintainers.

>  Otherwise, it should not be mentioned on the Eclipse IDE
> web site.

If the mention on the site includes hint how to install, IMHO that's enough, but I have no preference here.

> The "AST" view should also be able to be installed with
>   "Group items by category".

Who needs that? JDT developers get the tool for free via SDK, others most likely don't want that anyway.

> It might be mentioned together with
>   "ECJ separated from JDT Core" [5]

It is completely unrelated to ecj separation from JDT core.

Ecj separation from JDT core means in short that ecj is a *real* bundle now, that can be used as a full featured Java compiler inside IDE that does NOT have entire JDT tooling installed.

> (by the way, does this mean that
>   ecj is now available as a single dependency from Maven Central and
>   if so, which one?).

It was there before, and is still under same id.
As of today, 4.26 version is https://central.sonatype.com/artifact/org.eclipse.jdt/ecj/3.32.0

> - There should no "Javadoc: Missing tag for return type" for
>   "{@return ...}" [16]
>   IMHO as long as this is not implemented, inline @return
>   should not mentioned [17].

Well, bugs exist in every software.
May be the one who cares and sees the warning would be triggered by this feature mentioned and would contribute a patch?
--
Kind regards,
Andrey Loskutov

Спасение утопающих - дело рук самих утопающих

https://www.eclipse.org/user/aloskutov

Back to the top