Re: [ide-dev] Highlights for 2023-03 landing page

Hi Holger, see my answers inline.

On Monday March 6 17:59:56 2023 (+01:00), Holger Voormann wrote:

> Hi Andrey, hi all,
>
> There are two questions:
> - What are the six highlights of the Eclipse IDE 2023-03 release to be shown at eclipseide.org?
> - Which Eclipse Java IDE 2023-03 improvements should I show in my next video?
>
> In 2023-03 there are not that many new features.

True. If there is nothing to show, it is OK to not show anything :-)

I personally think it would be worth to mention exactly that point and to give a hint that Eclipse is open source project that lives from contributions, so if someone wants to see more in the next release, a good idea would be to check open issues and try to fix / implement some new cool thing.

May be you can show how to setup an IDE from github & contribute a trivial patch, following instructions at https://github.com/eclipse-platform -> https://github.com/eclipse-platform/.github/blob/main/CONTRIBUTING.md, and if that video would be in your usual (great) quality, we could even reference that video on "contributing" page for those who prefer to learn new things not by reading boring instructions but by watching cool Youtube videos.

> the Bytecode view is included in the SDK only, so I think it would be misleading to call it a new Eclipse IDE(!) highlight as long as the Bytecode view is not part of the Java IDE packages.

Sure.

> Should I show the Bytecode view in my video?

I personally don't think it is worth it, because very few people are actually interested in the Java bytecode - it is a very special topic and usually mainly relevant for problem analysis where some Java code doesn't do what it is supposed to do for some very obscure reason (either crazy specs or bug in compiler or bug in JVM). Another very special area is the bytecode generation - where bytecode view can be used a s a "generator" helping to write ASM code to generate desired bytecode. Same here, only few people are interested in bytecode generation via ASM. Those who do that, probably already know Bytecode view :-)

But as an author of the plugin I'm very biased here, so no idea how others see this.

> I’m not sure, but I think it is better not to show the Bytecode view in my video when it is not included in the Java IDE packages.

I would also agree here.

> I would love to have the Bytecode view in all Java IDE packages (still hoping it’s not too late for 2023-03): https://eclip.se/581619

Thanks for reporting, but since it can be installed at any time, not a big deal if it will not make in 2023-03.

> I see a significant speedup by the Java compiler, probably due to or mainly due to
> https://github.com/eclipse-jdt/eclipse.jdt.core/issues/549
> Wouldn’t that be worth mentioning as well?

I'm not sure if it was this specific change and if this specific one is worth to mention, would be not fair to other changes which also might have contributed here. Note, performance improvements highly depend on the use cases, so some users might not notice any improvements at all. One could say that there were made few bugfixes that might improve compiler performance in some use cases.
--
Kind regards,
Andrey Loskutov

Спасение утопающих - дело рук самих утопающих

https://www.eclipse.org/user/aloskutov

Back to the top