Re: [ee4j-pmc] Action item: use of the jakarta groupId

On 9/17/18 9:57 AM, Ivar Grimstad wrote:
I am a little curious as to why it should affect the GlassFish release...

RIs (using old terminology) will have to adopt this change as well and this may not be just about changing groupid of a dependency. For instance there is no direct dependency from glassfish to jws (jsr 181) and jax-ws apis (jsr 224) - these are currently being integrated into GF through project metro and its 'org.glassfish.metro:webservices-osgi' artifact, so at least metro project will have to update its build to adopt this change.

What about CDI or Bean Validation - or basically specs not originally owned by Oracle? Should or shouldn't group id be changed there? If not, wouldn't it be confusing for end users to see that some artifacts are under new 'jakartaee' group id while others still under 'old javax.*'?

thanks,
--lukas

As David pointed out earlier, it is a one-line change in the spec pom.xml files, so that is close to no overhead at all. And the dependencies to the Eclipse-released specs must be changed anyway because of the new version number, so there is close to no extra overhead by changing the groupId to jakarta at the same time. It may actually save some time since we will have the check that we have not forgotten to update any dependencies since we can scan for javax-groupIds...?

Ivar