Re: [cdt-dev] What exactly is CDT core build?

> On 21 Aug 2020, at 17:27, Jan Baeyens <jan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>     - readability of the files is reduced. Users wander what these numbers are.

well, I guess we can generate a long enough sequence of unique quotes from Shakespeare plays, and use them as ids, but this will not change the cdt behaviour in any way.

in one of my implementations I created all these unique ids with the same prefix. everything worked as expected.

they are all string ids, managed by cdt. as long as you do not mess with the .cproject file, cdt will be happy with them. the prefix is for human consumption, you can get an idea what the id is used for.

> Please check some prefs of your long running projects to see/report if this is common or not?

if you extend your project with new configurations, or launchers, I guess it is normal to have new ids generated.

---

on the other side, I got a lot of support requests with the build failing in various weird ways; after suggesting to recreate the project, the problems went away.

unfortunately damaged projects are not as rare as they should be.

my recommendation is, (unless you have a solid knowledge of the cdt internals and .cproject format), if you did something that damaged the .cproject, don't even bother to try to understand what happened to fix it; recreate the project from scratch and move on.

Liviu

Back to the top