Re: [cdt-dev] What exactly is CDT core build?

Am Mi., 19. Aug. 2020 um 21:47 Uhr schrieb Jeff Johnston <jjohnstn@xxxxxxxxxx>:

> Core build is relatively young and was an initiative started by Doug to simplify the build mechanism especially in the case where
> the build mechanism took care of most things internally (e.g. Makefile, CMake, meson).  It was essentially still a work in progress when Doug left and he started simple
> with the intention that others would modify it as needed.  My experience with it was to add meson support and allow Docker Containers to be used as targets.

Thank you for this explanation. Will have to look into the meson code
to figure out how it supports docker containers.

> Regarding Core build and .cproject, there are no set rules.  It was my understanding that Core build attempted to simplify the myriad of settings and probably why the initial
> version hard-coded using the config name.  If the wizard doesn't need to store a setting, then that can be modified.

I am planning to improve cmake support. I can see that
CBuildConfiguration uses osgi.service.prefs.Preferences to store the
project settings. Unfortunately o.o.s.p.Preferences does not allow to
store lists or sets of Strings which I need for cmake support. Neither
does org.eclipse.core.runtime.preferences.OsgiPreferenceMetadataStore.
So I think I am forced to store them in the .cproject somehow.

Martin

Back to the top