Re: [wtp-incubator-dev] NodeSets in XSL Tools Debugger

Doug Satchwell wrote:
I think the way you're doing it is fine. Just need to ensure that the value is only fetched lazily i.e. only when the user selects that variable is the full serialized document actually returned. I can't remember whether this is the case already, so it might be OK. Potentially, the nodeset could be meany MBs in size so transferring that over the stream could be very slow and make stepping perform badly.
Yeah, the whole serialized item is returned, and the corresponding sub variables are done lazily as they are needed. I think no matter what we do we could potentially have a large amount of data that could be transmitted.

The whole serializing/deserializing code is not exactly a thing of beauty, as you may have spotted :-) But it works and haven't had the enthusiasm to change it...so if you want to improve that code it would be a good thing.
That is why Refactoring was invented. :)

We can put on the backlog a redesign of the interface, but that is lower priority at this point. Something that exchanges a common XML format might be good, but again depends on how big that serialized format is.

Dave

Back to the top