Re: [wtp-incubator-dev] NodeSets in XSL Tools Debugger

I think the way you're doing it is fine. Just need to ensure that the value is only fetched lazily i.e. only when the user selects that variable is the full serialized document actually returned. I can't remember whether this is the case already, so it might be OK. Potentially, the nodeset could be meany MBs in size so transferring that over the stream could be very slow and make stepping perform badly.

The whole serializing/deserializing code is not exactly a thing of beauty, as you may have spotted :-) But it works and haven't had the enthusiasm to change it...so if you want to improve that code it would be a good thing.

----- Original Message ----
From: David Carver <d_a_carver@xxxxxxxxx>
To: WTP Incubator Dev list <wtp-incubator-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, 20 November, 2008 22:28:25
Subject: [wtp-incubator-dev] NodeSets in XSL Tools Debugger

I've implemented some very basic support for allowing XSL Variables that are NodeSets to be expandable from within the debugger.  It's at the very early stages, and still needs some more work, but it's showing some promise.

One of the issues I'm running into, and hopefully Doug has some ideas besides what I've done so far, to get this working better.  Right now the XSL Tools Debugger is always expecting a string coming back with some additional information in a key value pair, in the form:
variable&value

This works well for strings, integers, etc, but doesn't work well for Nodesets which contain multiple values and nesting.  To get around this limitation, I've serialized the NodeSets into XML and transmit that as the value.  Then when creating the XSLVariable and the XSLValue, I create a specialized NodeListVariable and a corresponding XSLValue for the debugger to display.  It seems to work alright, but I have some more work to do.

Doug have you had any thoughts on how you wanted to implement this, or is serializing this and then building the correct information the best way to proceed with this?

Dave