[wtp-incubator-dev] XSLT 2.0 via Xalan

Well, I found the XSLT 2.0 Xalan version sitting in the Subversion
repository of Apache.   It seems that the last time this code was
touched was somewhere around 2003.   However, amazingly enough it is a
pretty complete implementation of the XSLT 2.0 and XPath 2.0 specification.

The question I have for the group is should we try to take this code,
and fix it up so that it is a complete compliant version of XSLT 2.0?
If so, since this code is Apache 1.1 licensed (that is what is in the
headers), I think we would need to run it through the IP process before
making any modificaitons and adding an Eclipse Public License to the
portions that we add new or repackage.

Sun has repackaged the Xalan version by adding com.sun. to all the
classes.   I would see a similar thing happening for the version we
would create something like: org.eclipse.wst.xsl.apache.xalan.....

The key points for us are the following:

*  Allows the leveraging of the existing code already written for Xalan
debugging (same API appears to be available).
*  We get XPath 2.0 compilation and validation of functions.
*  We have an XSLT 2.0 processor that is under a compatible EPL
license....portions would need to be updated and dual licensed with the
changes we make.

I've got a clean and appears to be working copy of this code in my work
space.  The code is based on Xalan 2.4.1 so is several years old, but it
is better than nothing.

Thoughts, comments, rotten eggs???

Dave

Back to the top