Re: [wtp-incubator-dev] Smoke Test Time - the Saxon issue

Thanks for clarifying about the debugger.

Let be try and clarify why I think we can't ship a "saxon" plugin, even  if it doesn't have saxon in it.

Put simply, we can't _encourage_ users to get some third party code, that has not passed Eclipse IP.

Now, the hard part is deciding what is encouraging vs. simply telling people what's possible.

I think providing a plugin with saxon in the name, which provides settings specific to Saxon, I think get's
too close to "encouraging" them.  So, am I missing something obvious to you experts?

Is there anything a user could get besides Saxon that would take advantage of our saxon plugin?

I'm not even sure anyone thinks of "Xalan" and "Saxon" as _types_ of implementations, do they?

Is there a non-Saxon implementation that could be substituted for Saxon and still use the "Saxon Type"?

I think our current implementation is different than simply saying "any xsl processor can implement these extensions" even if we point
to some other websites that provide their own plugins that implement the extension point.

So, it may be a fine line ... but, that's the fine line I was referring to, that I'd prefer not to cross at this point.
I realize it could be argued other ways, but ... that's my take at the moment.

And, as Dave mentioned, I think there's questions about the design that might effect the ultimate solution so
perhaps best to avoid the fine line for now, and see how the actual use-case evolves?

Above all, thanks for the education ... please continue.

Back to the top