[wtp-dev] WTP 1.0 Milestone Planning

It's time to update the milestones plans for WTP 1.0. Would all component leads please update their plans and be prepare to briefly review that at our next development status telecon on September 1. Thx.

The theme of this release is to turn WTP 0.7 into a platform that other products can build on. Here are the main priorities for this relelase [1]:

  • Promote selected provisional APIs to platform status based on vendor requirements.
  • Componentize WTP into Features to enable adopters to select subsets of function.
  • Fix National Language bugs.
  • Fix Accessibility bugs.
  • Fix other important bugs, with high priority given to those required by adopters.
  • Upgrade Help system content.

We won't be able to promote all provisional APIs, so give priority to those that consuming products are using. Please identify the APIs and target them to milestones M8 or M9. APIs that impact other components should be targetted to M8. Recall our dates:
  • 1.0 M8: September 23, 2005
  • 1.0 M9: November 18, 2005
  • 1.0 M10 Final: December 16, 2005

We should plan on an API Freeze on October 21 to allow time for stabilzation.

Include important bugs, especially performance problems.

Most enhancements should be deferred to WTP 1.5 since this is a very short cycle and we have a lot of API work to complete.

Comments?

[1] http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/development/planning/roadmap.html

Arthur Ryman,
IBM Software Group, Rational Division