[wtp-dev] Say hello to the WTP help system

As of the I20050518 integration build, the WTP now has its own section in the Eclipse help system. To view the help entries select Help->Help Contents. To follow the Workbench and Java naming conventions, the WTP help is under the heading "Web Application Development Guide". The initial entries in the help system were taken from the WTP tutorials (thanks to Ella Belisario, Richard Mah, and Kathy Chan for the majority of the content). Initially there are entries for XML, Web services, and servers.

There are also a couple examples for context sensitive help already in place. Context sensitive help has replaced infopops in Eclipse 3.1. To see examples open the TCP/IP monitor or the Internet Cache preference page and press F1.

Two WTP help plugins have been contributed at this point to separate WST and JST specific help items.
org.eclipse.wst.doc.user
org.eclipse.jst.doc.user

What's next?

I will continue soliciting contributions for the help system and will work on both help documents for the help system and for context sensitive help.

Component leads - Please identify (to me) help system hooks in your components and ask your teams to contribute help docs for their tools.

Many more help documents are needed. Even short descriptions of how to use components are useful. Please open defects against the documentation component and submit patches.

Thanks,

Lawrence Mandel

Software Developer
IBM Rational Software
Phone: 905 - 413 - 3814   Fax: 905 - 413 - 4920
lmandel@xxxxxxxxxx

Back to the top