Re: [wtp-dev] Provisional API take II

Hi Arthur,

I'll add this to as many classes in the server tools as I think reasonable to make sure that we can enable the feature support in v1.1. I should have them in by the I-build, but next week at the latest.

Thanks,
Tim deBoer
WebSphere Tools - IBM Canada Ltd.
(905) 413-3503  (tieline 969)
deboer@xxxxxxxxxx

Arthur Ryman/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

05/18/2005 09:27 AM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."

"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [wtp-dev] Provisional API take II

Tim,

Sounds good.

Another action item for the resolution of the proposed changes to the Flexible Project and Server APIs is to identify the portions of those APIs that need to be marked as provisional.

Ted, Kosta, Chuck, and Tim - can you please identify what needs to be marked as provisional in 1.0? The goal is to enable the changes in 1.1 without breaking 1.0 APIs.

Chuck - while you're at it, include the parts of the Flexible Project API that may be impacted by the proposed platform changes for Eclipse 3.2?

Pls  update the affected component.xml files asap, and add the comments to the affected Java source files. Thx.

Arthur Ryman,
Rational Desktop Tools Development

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@xxxxxxx
intranet: http://labweb.torolab.ibm.com/DRY6/

Timothy Deboer/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

05/17/2005 10:44 PM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."

wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[wtp-dev] Provisional API take II

Hi,

The PMC has decided to defer feature support until 1.1, but make some API provisional in 1.0 (without moving to internal.provisional b/c of the risk this late in the cycle) so that we do not block ourselves from doing it. The suggested documentation for this provisional API was JavaDoc, component.xmls, and release documentation.

Elson has pointed out that it makes sense to standardize the javadoc and use a common task tag that we can all optionally enable. To start the discussion, how about using the following notice, which was used by the Eclipse debug team in v1.0:

* <b>Provisional API:</b> This class/interface is part of an interim API that is still under development and expected to
* change significantly before reaching stability. It is being made available at this early stage to solicit feedback
* from pioneering adopters on the understanding that any code that uses this API will almost certainly be broken

* (repeatedly) as the API evolves.

The only change I've made is switching the word "Note" to "Provisional API" to make it a better task tag.