    On the other hand, this architecture provides immense flexibility in how the caller experience unfolds.  You are right though, as a result some of the tools of a VUI designer are out of easy reach for the time being.  The workaround Randy suggested is only one of many that can be employed depending on how you want to structure your application or the needs of the VUI.  If you could illustrate the use case where you were going to utilize this, I could recommend one that would require the least amount of effort.

    One proposed solution to this is to add a simulated count mechanism to the UI and manage the state transitions and prompt selection within the runtime.  For all intents and purposes, this would present an interface to the application developer that is very close to representing the native functionality.  However, there are a few other proposals on the table that solve this issue as well.  When we move towards implementing that feature, we’ll be gleefully debating the merits of all of them.  I certainly invite you to join those discussions and would love to hear any other feedback you have as well.

Trip Gilman

On 5/28/08 2:30 PM, "Yakulis, Ross (Ross)" <yakulis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Seems like a rather large omission since vxml natively supports this?

From: vtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:vtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Randy Childers
Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2008 12:23 PM
To: Voice Tools general developers
Subject: RE: [vtp-dev] Play Prompt recording

Hi Brian—

There’s not currently a clean way to do this (though I’ve been discussing some ideas around it with Trip – I think it will happen in the not-too-distant future).  The best way I know of now is to create a variable that holds your recording name; manipulate this in a code block, and then set the Play prompt to play an audio file using a value from a variable.

Randy