Re: [vtp-dev] Re: [JVoiceXML-developer] Text based VTP extension

I am still around, and intending to keep the Tellme launcher plugin alive. You should move that code (org.eclipse.vtp.debug.ui, org.eclipse.vtp.dialer.skype, org.eclipse.vtp.launching, org.eclipse.vtp.launching.tellme, org.eclipse.vtp.launching.tellme.doc) into the svn repository. I thought that was understood.

There is a bug in the downloadable plugin (from August 2006) that has been fixed in the source. Each user will need to rebuild the launcher plugin before it will work. Skype, at version 2.5, introduced an incompatibility with the plugin.

The current discussion around text input has been brief, and cannot apply to the Tellme platform at all. The input dialog and the IVoiceXMLBrowser code were contributed by Brent Metz originally.

I have been travelling a lot this year, and have not been able to do very much on VTP for a long while now. What I would like to do with the launcher in the near future is to redo most of it to use the Java interface code that has been released by Skype. There are a couple of reasons to do that:

1. When I put together the launcher back in 2006, there was no interface code released by Skype, and example code that existed was of uncertain legal acceptability. So, I wrote my own code to interface to Skype, including a Windows dll that I doubt I could ever build again from source. I recall that being quite a challenge in the first place, and I have fewer resources at hand now than I did then. The Skype-released code is licensed under the CPL, which makes it acceptable, and they have produced the needed native libraries, so we would just use them.

2. The Skype-released code includes variants for Windows, Linux, and for OS X. The original code I did is only for Windows. I don't believe multiplatform support has been a focus for VTP, but why not have it if possible?

Are there any screen shots showing the text input extensions that are mentioned below? I am having a bit of difficulty visualizing what is meant by the following statement from Dirk's mail:
	- the input field is a bit small. Would it be good
	to have the
	possibility to toggle the log and dialog view? The
	dialog view reflects
	the system response and the user input.

I don't think I quite know what is meant by "dialog view". Can you explain?

When do you think the launching code will be in svn? I can make the change to IVoiceXMLBrowser to add the CAPABILITY_TEXT property, and update the Tellme launcher to return the right result for a property query. I would prefer to do that in the svn context.

Have the JVoiceXML folks made their own launcher plugin yet? Earlier we never had an opportunity to check out the mechanisms that are supposed to handle selecting from multiple launchers, and that would be interesting to see.

-- Mike

Trip Gilman wrote:
I'm very glad to see this moving forward.  I was hoping Mike Greenawalt was
still around to point you guys in the right direction.  Mike had signed up
to maintain that section of the code base, but may have moved on to other
pastures.

    Also, I haven't moved the browser code over to the new svn repository
yet because I wasn't sure if anyone was going to continue work on it.  Just
let me know which components you need moved and I'll transition them to the
new repository.

Trip Gilman