RE: [ve-dev] Understanding this huge pile of code... ;-)

Title: Message

> I ran into this too, so one for the "newbie to VE" FAQ for sure

I'll add this to the FAQ.
That's an OK solution for the near term.

Longer term, we need to shoot toward getting to a point where any arbitrary user can also be a developer of *our* code base, not just a client of it who adds plug-ins to it.

This is one thing software based on the GNU toolchain does right.  Given any arbitrary source tarball, I can extract it, cd into the resulting dir and (as root) type:

./configure && make && make install

to build and install it from source.  Barring missing dependencies, this basically just always works.

Notice how this makes the barrier to entry to hack on the code exactly zero if you're already a programmer.  Just cd into a source directory, fire up your favorite editor, and get coding away.

And it works.  In multiple instances, I've gotten suckered into hacking on something I never intended to (and then contributing my work back) simply because the code was so easily available.  ;-)

Long term, I'd *really* like to see how low we can get the barrier to entry for hacking (in the good sense of the word) on the VE source base.
> Coincidentally, getting started on the VE sources involves a pretty
> steep learning curve (even steeper if your Eclipse knowledge is not
> already at expert level). Is there, or do you recommend, a high level
> architecture document, that could explain the architectural concepts of
> the VE plug-in - from a high level of course.

Unfortunately nope. We have opened anything up yet for developers, so we have no documentation to do that. That is one of the to-do's for when we create a true SDK for extenders and developers.
This is something that we who are learning the code base can contribute.  I'm thinking about blogging about my experiences in the near term as a way to capture them and pass them on immediately.  Longer term, we can collect those experiences into articles/documents/white papers...

Dave

Back to the top