Re: [tycho-user] Why is Tycho manifest-first?

Igor,

Am 17.11.2011 um 19:00 schrieb Igor Fedorenko:

> On 11-11-17 12:53 PM, Volker Wegert wrote:
>> I'm new to both Maven and Tycho, so maybe I got this wrong - but as
>> far as I understand: If you've got a p2 repository you can install
>> stuff from, you can use it as a dependency in an MANIFEST.MF-first
>> build approach. If you're out for a Mavenistic pom.xml-first
>> approach, all dependencies need to be retrievable by Maven. This
>> would limit the usable dependencies to the projects already converted
>> to this approach, right?
>
> Not exactly. Generating p2 metadata for artifacts built using pom-first
> approach is a straightforward mechanical process and there is even an
> experimental nexus plugin that does this transparently for pom-first
> artifacts deployed to a nexus hosted repository.
>
> Going the other way, i.e. converting p2 repository to maven, is a much
> harder problem. It is probably impossible to to correct(!) p2->maven
> conversion in all cases, but some approximation is likely possible in
> most/all cases.

That's exactly what I wanted to say. But that infers a kind of reverse dependency, doesn't it? If I wanted to build a plugin using Maven pom-first, I would have to wait until all of my dependencies provided a pom for me to pull in, right?

BTW and a bit OT, is there a good Maven book anyone would recommend?

Thanks
  Volker

Back to the top